We will address the following FAQ to help you understand your back condition better:
1. What is causing the pain and how did I get it?
A common type of back pain is mostly due to a series and mix of bad posture and poor lack of movement, which is typically seen in office workers who have to sit at their desks for long hours. This will result in what is known as ‘mechanical back pain’.
Other types of back problems that are more serious and would fall under the category of serious back injuries, which would require a thorough analysis and assessment.
2. How can physiotherapy help?
Physiotherapy Treatment For Back Pain
At BMJ Therapy, our back pain treatments ensure accurate diagnosis of your back problem, and thereafter we would carry out a customized treatment plan for your back.
For ‘mechanical back pain’, our treatments are able to resolve your pain within a short period of time.
For other types of back injuries, what physiotherapy does to help include:
- Specific exercises for you to self-heal and return to your daily routines
- Exercises to strengthen your back muscles and to improve your back’s flexibility
- Posture correction
- Specialised back treatments to minimize inflammation and back strain and aches
- Clinical massage to reduce tension
3. What are some symptoms of back pain?
If you have a serious back injury, the symptoms that you might experience include:
- Numbness or needle-like pains on your buttocks or back area
- Pain experienced through your leg area
- Severe back aches and pains when you stretch forward
- Constant stiffness at your back area
However, if you experience any of these following, you should seek immediate medical help:
- Unable to walk steadily for a long period of time
- Severe numbness
- Difficulty controlling your bladder
- Unexplained weight loss
- High level of intense pain experienced in your back area