1. What is causing the pain and how did I get it?
Ankle sprain happens when we twist/ roll our ankle inwards. Our ankle joint is made up of several bones held together by a series of ligaments (LIGAMENTS are structure hold the joints together, they can stretch somewhat but will be injured/ tear when we overstretch them). When we sprain our ankle, one or two of the ligaments gets overstretched and this overstretching or tear is very painful. Depending on the force of the fall, the sprain and be mild or severe pain. Severe ankle sprain can take a lot longer to heal because the injury can now involve other structures other than the ligaments.
There are many different possible reasons for your ankle problem, thus it is important to get an accurate diagnosis of your ankle pain.
2. How can physiotherapy help?
Physiotherapy can help from right after the sprain via:
- Pain and swelling management
- Walking aid
Sprained Ankle Treatment
At BMJ Therapy – Physiotherapy Singapore, our complete sprained ankle treatment will include:
- Stiffness recovery programme
- Strengthening and proprioception exercises
- Arch and foot control
- Return to sports conditioning programme
- Brace and taping to prevent recurrence of the ankle sprain
3. How can we help?
The patient need to regain the strength of the affected ankle. This is important because it will help to prevent further sprain. Each sprain there after tends to be worse and so it is imperative that we prevent further sprains.
4. How long will it take to recover? (ie. prognosis)
A typical mild ankle sprain takes about 1 month to 6 weeks to return to your sports. A severe ankle sprain takes about 3 months or more.